Tuesday, February 18, 2014

A Tim Tag Tutorial!


Tim's February tag inspired me to do something different this month.  Instead of a tag, I created this 6x6 card.  Here's a look at Tim's tag ...


I want to eventually hang all these tags around my craft room, so I try not to make them holiday themed.  I also enjoy coming up with my own twist.

While flipping through my Tim stencils, I was inspired by the Cargo alphabet stencil and immediately thought of the Vintage Typewriter die.  My little mind started doing it's thing, and I realized the die would be too large for a tag, hence the card.

I followed his tutorial for the February tag (check it out here), and, as always, I try to do all the techniques.  Unfortunately, I had a little trouble with one or two.  This card actually took me 3 days to complete!  haha


I began with a 5-1/2 x 5-1/2 piece of Ranger manilla cardstock.  I put some Pumice Stone, Weathered Wood, and Spun Sugar Distress Stains on my craft sheet.


I swiped the cardstock through a couple of times until covered with stain, misted with water, and completely dried with my heat gun.  While drying, I tilted the card to and fro to create unusual drips.


I used painter's tape to hold the stencil in place.


I added Worn Lipstick, Barn Door, and Fired Brick Distress Inks with the applicator tool in different places to create a gradient in color.  While the ink was wet, I sprinkled Clear embossing powder & heated to melt.


I've been itching to use this Shatter stencil, so I added some Worn Lipstick Distress Ink on the right side with the stencil.


It still needed something, so I grabbed an applicator tool and used whatever leftover ink was on it (Spiced Marmalade or Wild Honey maybe?).  I used it in a couple of places with the Dot Fade stencil.


I added Black Soot Distress around the edges.   A little too much contrast, so ...


I added some Pumice Stone too.  Just a subtle difference, but I was happy with it.

I decided to make the typewriter die with Black Soot glitter.  I smeared Glossy Accents all over and dumped it on.  When I tapped it off, it didn't stick in places, and I realized I forgot to paint the chipboard!  I decided to make a new one, this one with Antique Linen glitter.


I painted it first with Antique Linen Distress Paint and dried it.  Applied Glossy Accents, the glitter and laid it aside to dry.


OK, this chalkboard technique didn't go so well.  I don't have (what?!  I don't have???) the Frosted Crystal embossing powder by Ranger, so I tried clear.  Tim says to heat to a matte finish, so, when I thought it was, I swiped a stick of white chalk across it, and just wiped all the EP off!  Then, I tried using a Glue Pad and some baby powder.  Kind of worked, but it wasn't really white, and instead of a chalky background, it kind of just shimmered.  I finally decided to just use white embossing powder.  I pulled out my pastels and wiped some white over the cardstock to get the chalky background.  Hey, I tried, and this looked good enough to me.  lol

I distressed the edges quickly with my fingernail and then layered it onto a small piece of white cardstock.  I wanted to give the glitter more time to set, so I called it quits for the day.


On day two, I added some Black Soot Distress Ink to the edges with an applicator tool.  I love this tool!  I usually use it with my pastels.


You use little pom poms that you get at the craft store.  It has a plunger end, that when depressed, a little claw comes out the other end to grab the pom pom.


I have little tiny pom poms also to get in to tiny places.


I decided the card needed a ribbon with a bow, so I took a long piece of Tim's ribbon and colored it by first misting it with water, and then swiping it through some Distress Stain (Weathered Wood, Spun Sugar and Pumice Stone).


I squeezed out the excess by scrunching into a small ball, and then dried it with the heat tool.


I added some Pumice Stone Distress to age it a little.


And, wanted more color, so I swiped on some Barn Door Distress with an applicator tool.


Perfect!


I layered it onto some Barn Door Distress Co'ordinations cardstock, and then a piece of 6 x 12 black to create my card.  I adhered the faux chalkboard to the ribbon.


I laid my typewriter glittered die on and said 'YUK!'  Back to the Vagabond.


I cut out a third typewriter, and this time, I colored it first with Black Soot Distress Ink.


Added the black glitter ... nice!  Time to let it dry and call it quits for the day again.


On day three, I added the typewriter die to the card with lots of Tacky Tape.  Didn't want this baby popping up!  Still something missing ...  Of course ...


a Type Charm!  Instead of going with my usual "S", I decided to go with an "R" for Rodgers.


I don't know what occasion I'd send this card for ... maybe just to one of my artsy friends as a 'thinking of you' gesture.  Right now, I'm stashing it in my box of treasured tags I've made!

11 comments:

Sue Fraser said...

Love your card Stephanie! Don't know what you would use the card for?? A crafty friend would probably be thrilled to receive it! Just saying Sue (Shooter)

Winnie said...

So cool! Love the alpha stenciled background with the great typewriter! Very creative and fun. Gosh, I remember learning to type of one of those typewriters a long time ago. I need to pick up that die (I just have the stamp!).Thanks for sharing your how to!

Sue Fraser said...

Congrats on winning for your February card. Love it

Sue Fraser said...

Congrats Stephanie! on winning for your February Card. Love it. Shooter

Jenny Marples said...

No surprise this is a Tim winner Stephanie. It is absolutely gorgeous and so inventive. Love it. Jenny x

Unknown said...

This is GORGEOUS! Totally well deserved win :-D
Lou x

Unknown said...

This is GORGEOUS! Totally well deserved win :-D
Lou x

Marci said...

I liked reading about your journey creating this card and I like the card. Congratulations on winning TH February tags!

www.hokiecoyote.com said...

What a beautifully creative card and instructions. Wow. Congrats on winning!

Cathy Michels said...

This is beautiful, Stephanie! Love the layout and the way you used the tutorial but made it uniquely your own. Congrats on your win - you earned it!

Shaunery said...

THIS is flipping incredible and LOVE!! I'm gonna have to start stalking you!!
Congratulations on the pick!